The configuration of servers can be quite complicated. Most users, or even advance users who have a general understanding of computers can still struggle to configure a server correctly. We are your Long Island server experts and can assist your business in all aspects of server support and maintenance for your Nassau or Suffolk county area business.
What is a Server?
A server is any computer that acts as a controller for any type of software. A server is also a computer designed to process requests and deliver data to other computers over a local network or even the internet. Servers don’t have to be server equipment though. For example, a workstation can act as a server, to a certain degree. We at TechRunner IT will evaluate your business and find out if “server equipment” is right for your needs.
What Is Considered “Server Equipment”?
Server equipment is designed to be left powered on all day long. Manufacturers design server equipment with; multiple processors, redundant power supplies(if one of the power supplies fails, the other one keeps the system running), a centralized data backup system, and also redundant hard drives (if one of the hard drives fails, the system continues to run in a slow state).
What Are Some Advantages Of Having A Server?
- Most businesses want to have permission over which of their employees have access to company files.
- Having a server makes backing up your data easier!
- Having the ability to have multiple users access data simultaneously, by taking a load off of your processor in a workstation.
- Some software companies require a server in order that their software functions.
- The ability to maximize performance with multiple hard drives, if set up correctly to slow down the loss of data.
What Are Some Disadvantages Of Having A Server?
- Downtime – If the server fails to function correctly, workstations may not work at optimum speed until reconfigured.
- Monitoring – Servers need to be monitored from time to time, to ensure optimum performance.
- Backups – It is highly recommended that backups are occurring.
- Liability – Hackers can potentially target one server versus multiple computers.
- Cost – Prices have been found to be significantly higher than computers.
What Is A NAS?
A network attached storage device. This device is built to host your files so that multiple computers can access them without a server. Some of our customers go this route because a server computer is not cost effective for their business.
At TechRunner IT, we keep it simple so that our work is not confusing to the customer. Most customers don’t need half of what’s installed on their server. So, if you’re having any issue regarding server repair & installation, TechRunner IT has the certified technicians you need to resolve the issue in the best and most cost effective way possible!